Monday, July 25, 2005

Greyhound Buses are Death Traps


I've had many a traveling debacle on Greyhound Bus Lines. While a poor college student, I often had no other option than the "ghettohound" to bring me home on holidays, or to get out of the city for the weekend.

I've done my fair share of complaining about the sketchy locale of most of their bus depots and about the riders who are disgruntled at best, but the truth is that I secretly love Greyhound. There's something about the experience that makes my life seem not so bad. Take for instance the woman I met in Baltimore who had been on the bus with her two young children since California....California!!! All the sudden, my two and a half hour trip to Philly seemed like a piece of cake.

Another thing which i've always enjoyed about Greyhound is the gritty humor of the bus drivers. Their job sucks, and apparently it's pretty dangerous seeing as Greyhound has installed bullet proof glass between the cabin and the drivers seats, but their drivers are some of the most entertaining people i've ever had the pleasure of traveling with. They tell it like it is, so don't be surprised if they tell you they're going to throw your cell phone out the window. I wish the metrobus drivers in DC would pipe up like that. It's refreshing, and damn hysterical.

About a month ago I posted a link to an article which reported on a Greyhound Bus fire that took place in DC. I'm sad to say that the safety standards of the actual buses are getting almost as sketchy as the neighborhoods the buses drive through. Most recently, a Greyhound Bus was involved in a serious accident on 95. Check out the article. I know i'm going to think twice before planning my next trip on the Grey Ghost...a.k.a. the Death Trap...

1 Comments:

Blogger ekGreer said...

I also used to tell myself that Greyhound is great and should be used as a means of refreshing "my life isnt so bad" -ness. But then the smelly drunk man next to me falls asleep and drools on my shoulder, or the extremely large lady chewing loudly keeps me in a physical position so Scoliosis-ish that I have to keep my neurologist on speed-dial... Thats when I stopped going home for the holidays. (well I switched to Southwest Airlines. funny enough, the same thing happened...)

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home