Monday, March 13, 2006

Sisterhood of the Travelling Joke T-Shirt

I'm always a little bit behind fashion trends, and I think the popularity of joke t-shirts (e.g. "I went to Philly for the crack") has eclipsed, but I still love reading the obscure pop culture references or vintage logos that people have been sporting for the last couple of years. District Tees is an online retailer that sells some pretty funny DC themed shirts - "I'm late because I ride the Red Line..." I mean, come on - that's pretty funny.

The problem that I have with these shirts is that once you've worn them out a couple of times, the novelty wears off...and more people catch on so your shirt isn't all that original anymore (how many "Vote for Pedro" shirts have you seen...I rest my case). In order to maintain a constantly fresh joke t-shirt wardrobe, you would have to camp out at Urban Outfitters when they unload their inventory - and lets be honest - Urban is a rip off. That's why i'm proposing the Sisterhood of the Travelling Joke T-Shirt.

The premise is that you buy a few Joke T's and wear them out to the bars, etc. until the novelty wears off. Then, you trade them with friends in other cities (assuming they wear approx. the same size t-shirt). Even better - send them off with a couple of choice stories that relate to wearing the shirt..."I won a flip cup championship while wearing this shirt..." or "I lost this shirt while playing strip poker and found it under the couch a week later..." You get the idea. It's a money saver, and I think it would be damn fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger just amodern girl... said...

"richmond, where history ended at the civil war"

or umm...

"i learned to drive in richmond"

or...

"come to the Fan, we bring the crack to your!!"

great idea...

11:04 AM  
Blogger lauren williams said...

i personally like "richmond: easy to love. hard to fix."

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guten tag! Ich liebe your idea! Thats about all the german I can muster at the moment. Aimee and I should get a novelty german tee shirt for this tee shirt idea.

We love you and cannot wait to see zou. (the "z" is where the "y" is on our computers)awesome!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Amiller said...

how about "homophobia is gay"???

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home