Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Work VA - Live MD - Play DC


My first week as a tri - stater is going well. I completed my move to Silver Spring this past weekend in record time thanks to the "sto-and-go" minivan rental and the help of a couple good friends. Although my schedule is a bit hectic at the moment and i've only spent two nights in my new place, it's already starting to feel like home.

I've forgotten what it's like to have no clue how to get anywhere. After 5 years in the same DC neighborhood, I had a pretty good handle on the conveniences of everyday living. Now, I feel like i'm back to square one, although there's a certain excitement in discovering all the cool things that are right around the corner.

Last night I discovered downtown Silver Spring. I have mixed feelings - it's really clean and nice, but it kind of reminds me of the fake snow that people spray on their Christmas trees - it's all show. I'm stoked about the independent movie theatre...it's still to early to tell.

The other observation that I have is about driving in MD. I know when i've crossed over from DC because all the roads have names and routes. This causes confusion when i'm asking for directions because I pay attention to names...you know, like Piney Branch Rd...not MD RT 322 or whatever it is. It's only the first week though - we'll see how it goes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can definitely identify with the moving to a new place feel. I love that you said downtown Silver Spring reminds you of fake snow. It really does feel that way. That's how I feel when I see large attractive families too.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home