Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Summer Road Trip '06 - Alaska to Seattle


I'm taking my first two week "vacation" since my college days. In fact, i've never been away from DC for more than a week or so...adios Federal City!

I say "vacation" because i've agreed to help my sister drive herself and her 4 kids ( a 14 year old, twin 6 year olds, and a 2 year old) from Fairbanks, Alaska to Seattle where she and her husband are moving. My brother in law couldn't get military leave to help my sister with logistics so it's little sis to the rescue. Not exactly the tropical vacation I had in mind, but i'm excited all the same!

So, what could be exciting about road tripping with a mini van full of bored kids (who I will also note, are prone to car sickness...)? The lure of the great american roadtrip! Now, i'm sure my bubble will burst about this adventure just as sure as a tire will burst on the most remote of Alaskan highways, but i'm trying to pump myself up about this as much as I can...just bear with me.

I'm the youngest in a particularly large family (5 sisters & 2 brothers) and was robbed of the roadtrips that my older brothers and sisters tell stories about to this day. By the time I came along, my parents declared themselves too old to haul kids across state lines and through national tourist traps. I enjoyed my summers at the NJ shore and have fond memories of the beach, but little experience on the road.

Now I feel as though this is the time to make up for all of it and judging from the stories i've heard time and again about my dads road habits a.k.a "we only stop when we need gas whether you kids have to pee or not," i'm stoked to be making the trip as an adult, with my sister.

I'm not totally clear on the entire itinerary at the moment, but my adventures will start off this Friday as I fly up to Alaska with a lengthy layover in Seattle (our final destination). I'm hoping to use the layover time to explore Seattle on my own a bit before ending up there with my sister and the kids.

I've also looked into purchasing a travel journal to chronicle some of my adventures and share them with you upon my return. Until then, i'll be getting my kicks on the AlCan Highway; Pacific Northwest, here I come!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're going to miss you!!!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home