Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Love @ the Lube



I suppose there's something inherently sexual about Jiffy Lube -overheated engines, hot oil....LUBE!

For the second time (in less two years), someone tried to pick me up as I was waiting for my car at the Wheaton Jiffy Lube. Now, i've only been to this particular location twice, so that means i'm 2 for 2 in the pick-up department. What gives?

My first encounter happened about two years ago. I was taking Maria's car for an oil change since she was gracious enough to let me borrow it for a trip to NJ. My friendship with Maria is based on an unspoken system of reciprocity - she cooks, I clean...she loans me her car, I get the oil changed...you get the idea.

So, I pull her car up to the Jiffy Lube and this young mechanic comes walking towards me. At the time, I wasn't familiar with the Jiffy Lube protocol, so I rolled down the window to see what he needed me to do. "You old enough to drive that car?" I didn't really know how to respond to this, but I could see from his goofy smile that he was making an attempt to joke with me. I continue to stare as he follows up with "That's a nice car for a kid like you, whad'ya do...steal it?"

Being from NJ, i'm predisposed to wise-ass comments...I honestly can't help it..so I reply "Yup, just stole it...I always get the oil changed before I make my getaway..." Now, what really threw me off was the fact that the guy couldn't have been any older than I was at the time...but he kept making comments about my age!! As I went up to pay, he says: "so honestly, what are you...like 12?" Then, he proceeds to ask me if i'd go out with him sometime! It was the weirdest pick-up...ever. I declined, and mentioned that he shouldn't be asking 12 year olds out on dates and got the hellll out of there. So confusing...it wasn't until I was a couple miles up the road that I realized he had stolen my lighter!

I returned to the same Jiffy Lube this weekend to get my Jeep checked up before winter hits. This time, everything went smoothly until I was getting back into my car to leave...that's when this man comes jogging over from the car wash next door and stops me as i'm getting into my car. Unlike the mechanic from the previous year, he begins with flattery: " I just wanted to say that you look really nice." Ok folks - let me just mention that I rolled out of bed, threw on some sweatpants and drove over to The Lube...however, flattery is always nice - even if it's totally false. I thanked him very kindly for his compliment (knowing full well what he was up to), and turned to leave. "Uh, I was also wondering if you would like to join me for a drink." I declined (again, very nicely) as he resorted to "what, you don't like to go to the clubs and dance?" I said that I wasn't particularly interested in dancing at any club and left.

They put a handy little sticker on my windshield stating that I have to return in 4 months to get my oil changed again. Will I be 3 for 3? I'll have to keep you posted on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home