Thursday, November 17, 2005

Organizational Behavior

Well... i've officially been out of college a full 6 months, which begs the question - Did college really prepare me for the "real world?"

I can't think of one class that has been directly applicable to my life as a professional. With all the money that I spent on books and hours I spent in lecture halls, none of it has truly prepared me for what I have encountered thus far. I think the closest that I came to the truth about the working world was in my Organizational Behavior course, where we were forced to go over flow charts and diagrams.

Ah, flow charts - here's where things start to resemble the real world! See folks, the fine authors of my organizational behavior text point out that there are four particular types of flow charts which include : the top-down flow chart; detailed flow chart; work (diagram) chart; and the deployment chart. However, they left out the most important one - the mother of ALL flow charts....The Shit Flow Chart!!

How could they have missed this one? I would hate to think that future generations will be robbed of this very important and useful piece of organizational behavior, so i'm going to break it down for you now -- The Shit Flow Chart is a diagram which details the snowball effect that a tiny turd has as it cascades its way down to the lowest echelons of the workforce. It may begin as a tiny cloud of gaseous stink, but by the time it reaches the bottom, it has the potential to turn into a full on shit storm.

The lowest echelons of the workforce are most commonly occupied by interns and recent college grads, so put your smocks on kids! You're in for one hell of a storm! The only way to effectively combat this process is to become a shit-slinger instead of a shit-receiver. This process is commonly referred to as a promotion. So basically, if you can withstand it long enough, you may have a chance of coming out clean in the end.

This little nugget of wisdom would have been helpful to me in college. I doubt the fine folks over at McGraw-Hill publishing would agree to the addition of this flow chart in their organizational behavior text. But then again, they could come out with a new edition (including the shit flow chart), refuse to buy-back the old editions, and mark up the price a mere 20-30%. This would effectively screw the students over...oh wait- it's a perfect illustration of the shit flow chart! Perhaps they taught this in college after all!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger ekGreer said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Much love from the land where the Pilgrims came from, meaning no big fat turkey for me.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home