Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Common Sense Commuting

This morning, DCist posted an interesting piece on recent robberies occuring on the Metro. Apparently, gangs of teenagers have been mugging commuters in broad daylight during rush hour. Reading the unfortunate account of one woman's run-in with a gang of female teenagers who stole her Smartrip card and iPod (click title for link), I couldn't help but feel a little frightened for my own safety. Not because i'm worried that my personal belongings are going to get lifted off me by some delinquent high-schoolers, but because I feel that my short temper will one day get the best of me.

When it comes to fight or flight...I fall into the fight category. Point being - I would have given those little bitches one hell of a fight. If luck happened to be on my side, there's a chance that I would win. I'm pretty scrappy (shit-i'm a rugby player), but i'm not bullet proof. I'm not knife proof either. This is what troubles me.

For the most part, I trust my instincts and I have a pretty good sense of when a situation is going to turn bad. I've been known to change train cars if something or someone is giving me a bad sign. I cross the street at night if there's someone approaching me, no matter what their race or gender, and I tend to stay focused on my surroundings. Does this mean I won't ever be a victim? Hell no! But I think that a lot of crimes can be prevented by excersizing a little caution and common sense.

On a semi-related note, I do feel partially sympathetic to the woman whose items were stolen, but it's no surprise that Metro Police were of no help throughout the situation. As sad as it is, you can't trust people. Whether they're fellow commuters who could potentially come to your rescue, or the cops that are supposed to work to protect you....I know that much first hand. The bottom line is that when it comes down to it, you gotta watch out for your own ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Chrissy, I need your celly...We were in Adams Morgan this weekend at a bar called Nollans....I wanted to call you!

7:54 PM  
Blogger ekGreer said...

I'll watch your ass chrissy, heh heh heh.

A fine boss one told me when I was leaving work and about to walk through a sketchy part of Cleveland: "You are not bullet proof Greer." I took it to heart and it saddened me. So, as a fellow fight over flee-er, I know what youre saying. (I walked to that darn parking lot anyway)

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home